Thursday, July 29, 2010

Valentine's Day- Part I

I had been seeing Stacy for about 3 months when we found ourselves still dating by Valentine's Day. Now V-day is also like a hit or miss form most women; it's great when you have someone, pretty much depressing when you don't. So this year, I was particulately excited... and also curious if Stacy was going to live up to my expectations. For the past few weeks I been talking to my BFF, Kristina, about it; obsessing about whether or not he knew V-day was approaching, if he was planning something special, getting me a gift, and so on. Based on Stacy's track record, I didnt really see him as the romantic type. He was a guy's guy, a man's man. He's the guy who's obsessed with sports and played football, hockey, or lacross in college. He's a classic guy who likes his nice car, still shares a house with his college roommates, and goes to bars with the guys on a friday night. He likes his beer, maybe a little jack and coke, and homestyle cooking. Goes to the the gym to work on his musles, social but not too social and dresses well but not too well. A good guy but usually those hard guy type don't consider the expectations of V-Day, let alone plan anything romantic. So basically, my expectations were minimal but they were there. The weekend before V-weekend, I asked Stacy over the phone whether he had anything planned for Sunday (v-Day). Well, I was a little more to the point with it as I was tired of speculating.

"So do you have anything planned for me next Sunday?"
He laughed. "What are you trying to ask me?"
" I just asked you what I was trying to ask you"
"Yeah, we can do something then, what do you want to do?"
"Well, why dont you think of something and then we'll get together then?"
"Cool"


So, the day finally came and he had let me know we were going to his house for the evening. I figured he planned on cooking for me which was kinda sweet considering I've never seen him cook anything.
I was supposed to be ready for him to pick me up at 8 and I settled on wearing some black leggings and boots and a black shirt (simple, chic, and slimming). One thing I loved about Stacy was that he was always on time. In our whole history of dating, he was never more than 5 minutes late from the time he said he would arrive. Usually he was waiting for me to finish getting ready since I'm late much too frequently. So it was a surprise to me when 8:10, 8:15 and 8:20 came and he hadn't called me yet. I decided to call him to see where he was.

"Hey, what's up? Are you still coming?"
"Yeah, I got into a couple things, but Imma be there soon"

8:30 came and went. 8:40. 8:50. Consumed with fears that he really doesn't want to see me tonight and this is his way of trying to get out of it, I called again.

"Stacy, are you sure you're still coming? If something came up and can just tell me"
"No, everything is fine, I'll be on my way soon as soon as I can."

9:00. 9:10.

I called Kristina in a fit. "Is he really going to stand me up on Valentine's day? What should I do".


 I went on about how I couldn't believe he was doing this, he's never been late before, why now? It was 9pm and I was thinking about where and with whom I could go out  for the night since I was damned if I'm going to stay home and cry about how I was stood up on V-Day. Most of all, I was hungry as hell. The last couple days, I wasn't eating too much in an attempt to drop some weight before V-day. I had know he was going to cook so I figured that day I'd wait until the evening to have a full meal.

I don't know if you've ever seen an upset and hungry phat chick, but I was definietly in a f-ed up mood.

"I don't know what to say" Kristina told me as I was walking out of my building heading to Subway on the corner for a sub. "This doesn't sound like him. he's like a hour late. I'm so sorry. Dont worry about going out tonight, just go to subway get your sandwich and go to bed. When he calls you later tonight--which he will, just tell him you're already in the bed."

"Ok, I'll get this sandwich and go back home."

As soon as I got back got to my room, I opened by my sandwich and had a strong urge to cry... partly because I was so upset and a little because I was mad I starved myself for the whole day.
Then he called.

"I'm on my way and I'll be there soon."
I looked at my clock and it was 9:25.
"Stacy, I already took off my clothes." I lied.
"I dont care. Just but something on--anything"
"Ummm...ok."


When he finally came, he was dressed really cute, but had these raggedy timberland boots on..like he was walking thru the snow all night. I ignored them and turned on my silent treatment. I was still mad but asked him why he was so late.

"My car was stuck in the snow."

For a hour and an half? I thought.. I didnt say anything else and we rode to his house in silence.

"Winny (his nick-name for me), are you going to stop being mad soon?"

"Maybe, I dunno"

When we got to the alley where he parks his car I saw how much snow was there. He explained how he couldnt get out of the snow banks even after the help of his roommates and had to call a tow truck. I began to soften up because I knew he was telling the truth; there was so much snow. But--I was still upset.

I was right about him making me dinner, he reheated everything he made and gave me some wine while we both sat eating in the dinning room. Afterwards we sat on the couch and watched some TV and I asked him where my flowers and chocolates were. He looked puzzled.

" You know for Valentine's day, some women want chocolate or flowers or something..."
"Oh you're talking to me now?" he added" but I made you dinner."
"But I really wanted chocolate."
"You should have told me then." I gave him a face and he said "Ok, I'll get you some. Don't worry".

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails